Self Introduction

Dear Prof Blackstone,
My name is Joel and I am writing to introduce myself. Before coming to Singapore Institute of Technology, I studied and graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. During my time in National Service, I developed an interest for automotives as I was in constant contact with them in my vocation. Hence my decision to pursue a bachelor in mechanical engineering.
Part of my job scope in the military was to represent my superior during formal meetings with other high ranking personnel to facilitate the planning for training exercises. This required me to have the adequate conversational skills to get my message across to the targeted audience. However, being an introvert, I often feel uncomfortable speaking in front of strangers and this became a huge struggle for me as I would tend to doubt myself and stutter.
Being an avid gamer, during the short break between completing my military service and beginning my studies at Singapore Institute of Technology, I decided to try live streaming as a way of tackling my struggles with communication. I became more comfortable speaking to strangers and even found it somewhat enjoyable. This gave me a newfound respect for communication and inspired me to learn other languages such as Japanese.
To focus on my studies, I no longer live stream. Thus, what I want to take-away from this module would be to become more comfortable and confident when speaking and presenting to others and I believe I will be able to achieve this with your guidance.
Although my communication skills are not the best, I am good at distorting the truth. As for my introduction above, that is for me to know and for you to find out.
With regards,
Joel Pang

-Read & commented on: Sean, Yong Xun

Comments

  1. Hello Joel! Glad to see that you have taken a bold approach to overcome your communication weaknesses. It does take a lot of courage to stream online to strangers.

    A point to note: I feel that you could better elaborate on your communication strengths, such as your ability to "distort the truth".

    Best Regards
    Yong Xun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joel,

    It is nice knowing more about you. please allow me to drop a few pointers for your introduction letter.

    "have the adequate conversational skills" in the second paragraph to :have adequate conversational skills"

    You can also further elaborate on why you decided to further your studies in mechanical engineering instead of aerospace engineering?

    Best regards
    Sean Pang

    ReplyDelete

  3. Dear Joel,

    Thanks for this letter. It's fairly detailed and informative while being concise. You seem to cover each of the assignment's touchpoints. I do have a few questions:

    You state that you developed an interest for automotives because "I was in constant contact with them in my vocation." What does this mean?

    You also suggest that while you're not so good at communication, you are "good at distorting the truth." Do you know what 'distort' means? It's not the same as 'distill.'

    There is a sentence issue or two that you need to review:

    1. To focus on my studies, I no longer live stream. Thus, what I want to take-away from this module would be to become more comfortable and confident ... > (Is 'thus' needed here? Is 'would be' the correct tense?) ?

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts